Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Um, um, good.

Today, I will leave the politics to you.

I just want to say, last night was baseballiscious. Every pitch from the 7th inning on of the Yankees/Sox clash was a story all it's own. And I stayed until that 471st, and last, pitch. Of course, commercials afforded me the ability to catch some of the Backe/Williams duel. Thank God I got to see the Beltran catch. Humans should not be able to do things like that, but it was a breathtaking site to behold. Last night I was reminded what makes baseball something to be cherished. I was also reminded that majors leaguers lack some fundamentals. "Lay down a bunt, already!" But baseball is baseball and that, by golly, was some freaking baseball.

Also, as I mentioned in yesterday's bonus photo blog, I was in a wedding on Saturday. I realized something about weddings. We all know that men hate weddings. The over/under of guys in attendance happy to be there is generally gonna be around 2 1/2. The groom (maybe), the father of the bride (also, maybe, depending on the perceived jerkiness/earning ratio of the groom), and the father of the groom (probably, but approaching indifference). The groomsmen are pretty much focused on not screwing up while daydreaming about what they could have done with the $80-100 they blew on a tux rental and longing for the moment the shiny, plastic shoes come off. Every other guy there is basically planning his exit strategy or implementing it. No guy wants to go to a wedding, he agrees to go...for various motives, both selfish and otherwise. I think, essentially, I don't like anything that is mainly ceremonial. According to Webster's: Ceremony - An act or series of acts, often of a symbolical character, prescribed by law, custom, or authority, in the conduct of important matters, as in the performance of religious duties, the transaction of affairs of state, and the celebration of notable events. Yes, I love doing anything that has no value except for the fact that it provides photo album fodder.

But that's not what I realized. I already knew that. My epiphany was on why girls love weddings so. I took stock. I saw that the bride was dressed in a very expensive gown. I realized that the groom was wearing clothes that the bride told him to wear. I realized I was wearing the clothes the bride told me to wear. I realized the bridesmaids were wearing the clothes that the bride told them to wear. Basically, the bride was having a party thrown in her honor that we were basically required to attend, where she got to tell her friends and her boyfriend's friends how to dress, got to pick out all the decorations and food, receive gifts, and then have the whole "event" chronicled by a professional photographer. And of course, no one can say nary a peep. What a dream.

A man's dream would be very different, and would never include a unity candle. But that's just one guy's opinion.

No comments: