Thursday, October 28, 2004

It was the best of times...the worst of times...

Well, last night's game brings such sweet sorrow. I have often said that the day after the last game of the World Series is one of the saddest days of the year. For that is essentially the first day in 7 months that there will not be a major league game. No game on cable to save me from a boring night. No crack of the bat in the background as I tend to various chores. I miss it already. But thank God the Sox have their championship. The whining should cease and desist immediately. Of course now we're gonna have to listen to the Cubs, but they always seemed to take it so much better.

I've always sort of had greater than average respect for Curt Schilling. His toughmindedness on the field, his willingness to take the ball in a big game, his ability to admit when he didn't live up to expectations, the fact that he will speak his mind about those he sees as prima donnas who aren't good for the sport. (See Deion Sanders, J.D. Drew, A-rod.) So after Game 6 of the ALCS when he pitched brilliantly with a case of bloody ankle, he told the world in the post-game interview, "I prayed for the strength to go out there and compete," and ..."that in Game 1 it was just me and you saw the result, I failed, but tonight was God..." (paraphrase). Well, my level of respect and admiration for him shot through the roof.

Some of you may be rolling your eyes. Another athlete invoking God. But this seemed more than the obligatory running back doing the half-second prayer in the end-zone. This seemed real; it seemed authentic. Do I believe God cares about a baseball game? No, not really. I think he does care when anyone does their best and makes sacrifices and gives all the glory to him. I'm sure on that very cold and damp night, his ankle was killing him. But he had a job to do, he had a team that needed him. He excelled in some trying circumstances and gave the glory to God. It would have been easy to just say thank you and go on, but he didn't. I think that's what God asks of all of us. Maybe a teammate recognizes his sacrifice, his willingness to accept great discomfort for their common cause and give a thought to looking into his faith. Maybe some fan saw the interview and had a thought creep into his head. But even if they didn't, Schilling felt an obligation to give credit to his God, and not keep it for himself, and that doesn't happen much these days.

Of course today on ABC's "Good Morning America," Schilling said, "Tell everybody to vote. And vote Bush next week." (HT : Powerline) Needless to say, I love Curt Schilling.

Unfortunately, now I have to wait 5 months for a chance to root for him.

No comments: