Wednesday, April 26, 2006

More thoughts on sports that you don't care about and probably disagree with

My friends, we are mere days away from the NFL draft. An event most probably find inconsequential at best, but that I absolutely love. I don't know why. Feel free to psychoanalyze me. Don't care. All I know is, Norm and I are on the same page here.

There seems to be a no-brainer this year as far as whom the top pick should be. In case you don't know, it's this guy. Oh, that's Reggie Bush from the National Champion Runner-Up USC Trojans. The all-everything-greatest-running back/receiver-in the history of college football...Or something like that. There seems to be a consensus that Mr. Bush will revolutionize football. That he will take the NFL by storm. Don't get me wrong, I think Reggie's pretty dang good. I think he can be useful to your NFL team. I'm just not convinced he's going to be a franchise player. Basically, the question that keeps popping up in my mind is this: "Is Reggie Bush all that much different Dante Hall?" Yes, that's what I said. And yes, I mean this Dante Hall. You know, the one who was the ultra-fast, under-sized scat back from Texas A&M.. Does that description remind you of anyone? No? Not of maybe a certain guy who won the Heisman last December?.

People love to talk about how Reggie will be able to do so much for his team. He can play running back, receiver, and return kicks. Yet, I don't think he can be any NFL team's every down back. Heck, he couldn't even win that job in college. And I don't think he'll return many kicks in his NFL career, either. It's far too dangerous to give the 11 guys on the other team a clean run at the guy you just gave a $30 million signing bonus. And just remember, Reggie played his college ball with possibly the most talented offense ever assembled. A Heisman winning quarterback and probably 75% of the offense will play in the NFL. Once again, I'm not saying his going to suck, but I'm not convinced we should enshrine him Canton before game 1.

That's all I got.

No comments: