Thursday, April 06, 2006

All dogs should be killed...

...At least that's what I thought at 2:30 this morning upon being awakened by the constant barkings, whinings, and howlings of the dog in my front yard. When I finally gathered up the strength to look out the window, I saw him (almost all dogs are masculine to me) standing there seemingly guarding my mailbox. "Stupid Dog! My mailbox doesn't need guarding! Move along!” is what I thought. What I did was bang on the window. The dog seemed to acknowledge what I had done. I went back to bed thinking he would now know to move on. My sleep was interrupted throughout the night by continued barkings, whinings, and howlings. Unfortunately, I was never fully released from unconsciousness. Instead, I was irritated and my dream featured a lot of dog noises. BTW, I don't dream about dogs. There might be people who do, heck, I expect you'll see a comment from one later, but not this guy. Anyway, finally at 6:30 the dog's sounds broke through. I was awake. I walked back to the window. The dog is still guarding the mailbox. Mental cursings of dog followed. I then bang some more. The dog circles the mailbox, and that's when I see it and realize the dog can't leave. He's stuck.

As I find my slippers in the dark and prepare to go outside to inspect further, I presume the dog has escaped his owners and then got his leash caught up on something. I hope all that's missing is a being with opposable thumbs to rectify the situation. I shuffle my way out. As I approach the dog, a sort of husky mix, he gives me a couple of barks, more to make sure I see him than to ward me off. As I got closer the barking stopped as he seemed to realize I was coming to free him. He started pacing with excitement. This was, as the Hardline might say, "a good puppy-dog"--calm and good-natured. I then realized that it was not a leash attached to his collar but some sort of wire. This troubled me...and confused me (keep in mind, it was dark and I was very sleepy). I first thought the wire was wrapped around a sprinkler head but realized that instead it was attached to something wedged underneath copious amounts of rocks and earth that serve as my neighbor's front lawn. Him being tethered here was not an accident. While it might have been done hastily, it couldn't have been easy. A new thought then crossed by mind, "All people should be killed."

Admittedly, this plan of action has some shortcomings. But the seeming cruelty of this really irked me. Dogs shouldn't be tied to rocks in the front yard of random houses for upwards of 5 hours. Farky has spoken. But we all know this right? I still like to give someone a piece of my mind, though...or a piece of my foot. Oh, I soon found a way to release the wire from the collar and then the dog to freedom. He jogged away. I went back in the house hoping to take of advantage of the silence. No such luck, but I was ok with that.
Admittedly, this plan of action has some shortcomings. But the seeming cruelty of this really irked me. Dogs shouldn't be tied to rocks in the front yard of random houses for upwards of 5 hours. Farky has spoken. But we all know this right? I still like to give someone a piece of my mind, though...or a piece of my foot. Oh, I soon found a way to release the wire from the collar and then the dog to freedom. He jogged away. I went back in the house hoping to take of advantage of the silence. No such luck, but I was ok with that.

No comments: