Wednesday, April 12, 2006

No more positivity

Ok, coming from the likes of me, you might find that title ironic. But I would submit that when it comes to the Texas Rangers you will find few that are more "half-glass-full, skies-always-blue" than me. I also like to think I'm not one that is prone to knee-jerking. Well, say hello to my rather crotchety, extremely perturbed alter ego. He is not pleased at all with the way things are going. He has some hot sports opinions and he's got a platform. Here we go.

One, I think it's time to make an attempt to sell high, while there might still be buyers. I will give you my top three potential tradees. First on the block? Coco "I'll call you 'Walk the lead-off guy'" Cordero. Holy crap! I think it's time to face facts that we've already seen his best. He's fallen in love with that freaking slider of his, and last night his beloved got roped down the line by a pip-squeak shortstop. Enough! Every save is an adventure worthy of a themed ride at Disneyland. "Who wants Coco?"

Next, and don't get me wrong, I love this guy, but Kevin Mench should probably continue his career elsewhere. This will be about the 4th year in a row that we're supposed to be prepared for a breakout. Well, guess what. It ain't coming. He's still gonna be flirting with the Mendoza line with runners in scoring position and end up hitting 30 homers yet somehow only have 68 RBI. It's been fun Kevin, but...well...later.

Finally, and this one is the toughest and I'm still not completely sold on it myself. Hold on to you boots, but...Hank Blalock.
It's not that I don't think he's good. It's just I'm no longer convinced that he's gonna be the transcendent player I thought he had the potential to be a few years ago. I think Jon Daniels had the right idea this off-season and I fear we will come to rue the day the Red Sox upped the ante.

Just off the list? Mark Texiera. Yeah, you read it right. That's all I'm gonna say about that.


Oh, there is one other member of the team who's act I have deemed completely tiresome. I have this odd feeling that the majority of the clubhouse is right there with me. I think you know. Buck. He needs to be on the next bus out. The season is barely a week old and I see a team that seems to be beaten down by the idea of baseball. This is nothing new for Buck. Every stop he's made has resulted in a team wondering why they have to put up with his crap only to realize that they make 10 times as much as him and they don't have to. Well, Buck...it's time buddy. The minute Buck leaves this thing gets better. I promise. Just ask the Yankees... or the Diamondbacks...

No comments: