Thursday, May 19, 2005

Many roads up the same mountain

There are those Christians which are not comfortable with some aspects of the Bible. They're not fond of taking the Bible literally for it causes them great consternation. Maybe, on some levels, I'm even prone to agree but at the end of the day I must accept what the Bible says because I believe it to be the authoritative word of God.

One of the most important disagreements comes with those Christians who believe that there are other methods, other religions, other roads that eventually lead to God. Despite what Jesus might have said about being "the way, the truth, and the life", and no coming to the Father except through Him bit, they are not convinced. You see they can ignore scripture because they know the true nature of God, and He just didn't mean it to be so exclusive. Because He loves us, all of us, ya know. Well, I think he did mean to be a little exclusive. I'm willing to listen to those who think that the Jews are still ok because God made a covenant with them that has yet to be completed, but that is where the listening ends. I mean, I won't be rude about it or anything, but the language is pretty clear and with it coming from the Bible which happens to be quoting the Savior of the world and all, I'm pretty comfortable in my literal interpretation.

I think Paul might agree with me (I Cor. 15:17), but I know some don't. Some will say that would make Christianity intolerant. Obviously, I would disagree. Anyone who read the Bible or at least the Jesus parts will quickly find him extremely tolerant of all. Let's see...my Lord is tolerant. Also, I'm told to emulate my Lord. Ergo...? I'm not saying we Christians pull this off, I'm just saying the blueprint of our religion would hopefully lead us there. I have met very few Christians in favor of theocracy where we could then enforce our intolerance, but maybe I'm just running in the wrong circles.

But just in case anyone thinks Christians have cornered the market on exclusivity or even intolerance, let me introduce you to a true example of intolerance bordering on hate. (HT: Lileks)
The day will come when we will rule America. The day will come when we will rule Britain and the entire world – except for the Jews. The Jews will not enjoy a life of tranquility under our rule, because they are treacherous by nature, as they have been throughout history. The day will come when everything will be relived of the Jews - even the stones and trees which were harmed by them. Listen to the Prophet Muhammad, who tells you about the evil end that awaits Jews. The stones and trees will want the Muslims to finish off every Jew.
- Courtesy Sheik Ibrahim Mudeiris

Who doesn't feel warm and fuzzy after that? I know there are those that will be quick to cry that he does not represent the Muslim religion...and they're probably right. Except, how much dancing in the streets do we have to see when the towers fell? Why do nations that consider themselves Muslim view religious freedom as such a foreign concept? Exactly how many times do I have to be called an infidel? How can so many be perfectly comfortable with the hating of and entire nation, if not hemisphere, in regards to the tenets of their religion.

All that to say, these two religions are not leading to the same peak, and one of them definitely doesn’t think so.


What's that? Need a Deadwood quote? What are my words not enough for you!? Fine:
"Don't play that sh*t where you make me drag your words out. Declare, or shut the f*ck up"

No comments: