Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Hail Mary

One final attempt to give some (if not solid) backing why the government should intervene in protection of life. **NOTICE** I'm not talking about the Terri Shciavo case, but more to the abortion argument, not that I don't think it applies, though. A quick (hopefully) thought.
As I walked to my car after work I began thinking of The Declaration of Independence. I quickly realized that it contained exactly what I was attempting to express, but in one sentence instead of the 8 it took me to say it poorly. We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That's what I meant. Self-evident. And of those unalienable Rights, numero uno is Life. Capitalized no less. The defining document of our government thinks life is important, just like my God.

Also, a quick thought about Jim Wallis. I have stated in various ways that I find his priorities a little disconcerting. I will address other aspects of his "ministry" that bother me later, but as I perused another blog on my list of regulars I found this:
"There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal. Nations, cultures, arts, civilizations -- these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub, and exploit --immortal horrors or everlasting splendors." - C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory


Then I think back to Wallis' quotes, "The values of politics are my primary concern," and "...the particular religiosity of a candidate, or even how devout they might be, is less important than how their religious and/or moral commitments and values shape their political vision and their policy commitments." It strikes me that this man of God is spending all is time on the mortal when Jesus clearly has his thoughts with the "immortal". And that maybe he's fallen into the trap of being more than just "in the world", but being "of it".

And now... FUN! For your viewing and listening pleasure I provide you with this link. So click, crank it up, and shake that thang.

No comments: