Tuesday, September 06, 2005

The Mother of All Roadtrips


Ok, so it was also the most poorly timed road trip in the history of the universe...but what else could it be with me involved? In case you have no idea what I'm talking about, it's this: U.S. Men's National Soccer Team vs. Mexico, 7:30 pm ET, Sat...in Columbus...Ohio. We had to get there and decided that my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee would be the best method. Poor choice?...maybe.

Just so you know, that's about 2100 miles round trip, 1050 one-way for you math majors. The trip to the home of the Buckeyes began at 7:45 p.m. on Friday night. There were 3 of us (one dropped out at the last minute because of illness) who took turns driving all throughout the night. My first shift began about 30 miles east of Texarkana (11:30 pm) and ended in Memphis (3:00 am). We stopped 3 times for food, 3 times for gas and way too many times for restroom breaks (considering it was 3 guys in the car). We arrived at our hotel (more on that later) the next day at 1:30 pm. That's about 17 hours actual time, 15 1/2 hours drive time.

The drive brought many surprises. Like Kentucky has really nice roads, Cincinatti actually is quite pretty, and me referring to my car that I actually like as the "Hell box". In upcoming posts I will enlighten you on such topics as: the hotel, the game, and the 30 second clip on CBS "Sunday Morning" that nearly had my shoe flying through the TV. I would do that now, but I'm still trying to physically recover from the trip. Deal.

No comments: